Saturday 21 September 2013

Creative Cooking | Orange and Poppy Seed



I was on cake duty for my Mum's 50th birthday (post here) and I have to admit - I had a lot of fun. It really worked well with my new found cooking hobby.

I decided to go with "Orange and Poppy Seed" , which is her favourite and with vanilla icing on top. I didn't alter the recipe in anyways (which can be found here), apart from the fact that I make cup cakes as well as a cake.  

The mixture made 36 cupcakes in one round, and two cakes in the next (I used a love heart shaped tin, not sure of the dimensions). On looking back, the cake didn't rise as much as I would have liked, due to the moisture of the cake/mixture, so I should have added more batter. However, I was afraid it would sink, due to said moisture. It's all trial and error I guess.

I'm still so happy with the result. 

When bringing it out after lunch, I also added my home-made cake bunting and mini flags for the cupcakes. I had so much fun.

It may not look perfect, but it was. And man did it taste gooood.