Sunday 29 December 2013

Pinterest Project | DIY Salt Dough Ornaments


These were super easy and I will be making them again...very soon in fact! I accidentally forgot to make one for our new little kitten Ember! And also I need to make some for Benn's nephew's when we get a chance to catch up with them for Christmas. I highly recommend. I didn't paint mine Christmas colours and I think they are just as cute hanging up on the fire place! I might leave them there for longer then the tree stays up...

DIY Salt Dough Ornaments

Ingredients:
2 Cup Flour
1 Cup Salt
1 Cup Warm Water
1/2 Cup Oil

Method:
Step One) Mix all ingredients together.
Step Two) Roll out dough on a flat surface and flatten with rolling pin.
Step Three) Using shape cutters, cut dough into desired number of shapes.

Step Four) Using a bottle cap (I used the oil lid) and a match stick, create patterns/letters on the dough.

Step Five) Bake for 3 hours at 150 degrees - KEEP AN EYE ON IT. This is how long and how high it took for mine in my oven, however, the recipe I followed allocated 4 hours at 180. But if I did that they would have turned black...
Step Six) Let cool completely
Step Seven) Coat all ornaments, back and front, in white paint. You may need many layers depending on how the colour of your ornaments turned out. I gave mine about 3 coats.

Step Eight) Paint in colour of your choosing - layer coats as necessary.
Step Nine) Pain gloss layer over final coat of paint.

I was in such a rush that I am devastated I did not get a final photo of all the finished ornaments! I had made about 30 all up including all the ones for my cousins.



No comments:

Post a Comment