Wednesday 8 October 2014

Camp(us) Fire Collective - First Link Up

I have been invited to be apart of the Camp(us) Fire Collective, which is where a bunch of us who are in college, university or some type of schooling from all over the world talk about how they experience life while studying - plus everything that goes with it. Along with a Christian influence.



I thought I would start by talking about my "student life" in general. If you have been a reader of mine for awhile now, you may have seen previous posts where I have spoken about how much I love my degree (have a look here, here and here). 

What am I studying?

I am currently completing a Bachelor of Teaching in Primary and Early Childhood (double degree!) full-time. I go to university 3 days a week and it's only a 20-minute drive from home (so blessed). I am in my 3rd year (out of four), however, I only have 12-months to go as I finish September 18th next year (yes I am counting down!!).

What made me choose this?

I actually never wanted to be a teacher, I mean, who would want to go back to school after being there from Kindergarten - year 12, plus 4 years of university!? Not to mention I didn't like school very much as well. The learning wasn't really the part I didn't like (although sometimes), it was more all the gossipping, cattiness and just general girl problems. 

 

Aaaaanyways.... About 5 years ago I was working in a call centre and I hated it, it really made me think WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE!? And all of that kinda stuff. I needed to find a job that I actually liked doing, and could see myself doing for the next 50+ years. I've always really liked children (I'm one of those always clucky kind of people) so I saw a job advertisement for a Child Care Trainee ship on the Internet and though I'd give it a go (I would be paid minimum wage to work with children aged 0-6 for 12 months). Out of 300 people they had 6 spots and I was blessed enough to get one! Finallllly no more call centre.

 

Oh man, to say I fell in love would be an understatement. I literally would have stayed forever if I had the chance. It was the best job ever and I finally felt like I found my calling in life. Being an educator for children is what I want to do forever (and ever). So I have more options later in life, I decided to apply for teaching at university both in Early Childhood (0-5 years) and Primary (6-12 years), that way I can teach any year I want, however, my heart truly lies with the little ones.

What does faith have to do with it?

I believe that this really is meant to be my calling in life (apart from Motherhood one day). It is not often that I don't doubt myself (I'm super indecisive and cannot make decisions), however, this is one of the few things in life that I am more then sure about. I believe that this has been made known to me through the Holy Ghost. I have felt confirmation time and time again by a way of feelings, thoughts and ideas that this degree really is for me and I will succeed. This, along with my faith and trust in my Heavenly father helps get me through all of the things that go along with studying full time whilst being married, living out of home, wanting to buy a house, living on a budget, wanting to start a family one day and everything in between.

 

Stay tuned for further posts about my life as a student, some of the topics I have in mind are; living on a university budget for two, how I keep on top of assignments and life and where I see myself in 10 years. What would you like to know about?




No comments:

Post a Comment